Registering to Vote
All municipalities in Wisconsin require voter registration prior to a person being allowed to vote. If you move your residence or change your name, you are also required to update your voter registration information. In addition, state law requires that an individual live within their community a minimum of 10 days prior to registration. A voter submitting a registration application is required to present acceptable proof of residence (see below).
There are 4 ways to register:
- Online: My Vote allows eligible Wisconsin voters to register to vote. Please fill in the information as instructed, printout, sign and either mail in, or drop off at their municipal clerk’s office, or at their polling place on Election Day.
- By mail: Download the Voter Registration Application and mail it to Diane Coenen, City Clerk, 174 East Wisconsin Avenue, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin 53066. The application must be postmarked no later than the 20th day (third Wednesday) before the election. A voter submitting a registration application by mail must include a copy of their proof of residence (see below).
- In person: Register in the municipal clerk's office up to 5:00 pm or the close of business whichever is later on the Friday before the election. Note: After the by mail deadline, an elector registering in person in the Clerk's Office is required to present acceptable proof of residence as outlined below.
- At the polling place on Election Day: You can register to vote at your polling place, but you must bring proof that you reside at your present location, and it must be current and valid. Acceptable forms of proof of residence are:
- A current and valid Wisconsin driver’s license
- A current and valid Wisconsin identification card
- Any other official ID card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body
- An ID card with elector photo Issued by an employer during the normal course of business (not a business card)
- A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or year preceding the election - 2017
- A residential lease which is effective for a period that Includes Election Day (Not valid registering by mail)
- A university, college, or technical institute identification card (must include photo) together with a fee payment receipt issued to the cardholder by the university, college, or technical institute dated no earlier than 9 months before election and a certified and current list of students who reside in housing sponsored by the school showing the current address
- A gas, electric, telephone, cell phone or cable service statement (utility bill) dated no earlier than 90 days before election (photocopy is acceptable and electronic form is acceptable)
- Bank statement
- A government check
- A paycheck or pay stub documentation of direct deposit
- A check or any other official document issued by a unit of government
- Affidavit for homeless electors